Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Read it and Weep

Oh, Matt Nathanson!  Not only do you have the skill to make words sing (he's actually that lovely voice you're hearing...if your volume is up); you are also witty between gigs.
http://blog.mattnathanson.com/  <-- Hit that.  It's gold.
Oh, but before you do:  I would like to specifically draw your attention to the entry titled "ronnie james deo."  AND... you have to promise to read it before you read what I have to say because I don't want to kill it with all my analysis.  Promise?  Good.  When you're done with that, feel free to read on. 

I decided that it wasn't enough to settle for one version of good writing.  (Bet you're disappointed.  You were looking for the analysis right here, weren't you?  Too bad.)  I really liked the Matt Nathanson blog because he is one of my favorite musicians currently and, if my students were into the music I like (which I know they wont be) this would be an easy way to make connections with relevant material.  From his blog I would then be able to make connections to his lyrics and show students that good writing comes in so many forms it is unreal.  Open their eyes a little.  Maybe blow a few minds.  You know, nothin' big.  Anyway... some of the other fab writing I stumbled across this week:

A facebook response from my friend Karen (she's an English major turned theatre living in NYC... one semester can do that to you.):

Boys = 1. His name is John and surprise, surprise, he lives in England! Who would've guessed!? Too bad there's a whole ocean between us! You may remember Sam, the one I was like, in LOVE with while I was there? Well, John happens to be a good friend of sam's and well, he came to visit while sam was here and we've talked every day since he left. On the down side, he's not the whole marriage minded type and he doesn't want kids or anything like that. At least that's what he says. Granted- We're in our 20's and I dont' want any of that right now either, but you know... it's nice to have the option. Anyways, he's coming to visit me in December so we'll see where it goes, I guess.

A bit of Jesse's writing from the last prompt I gave him:

If I would of known that when I got older I would love the rainy spring nights, and the calm of the lake, I would have held on to that cabin for dear life. Well I have to run, me and the Mrs. are going on a date. Make sure when you get to this day you bring an umbrella, it's raining.
Yourself,
Jesse Paremski

So, basically, I have pulled something from most parts of my life... minus my own writing, which you are getting a taste of here.  Speaking of!  Please feel free to comment on the worth of my writing... it would only be fair.  And, since I have taken you all the way from popular culture, through the writing of a friend to a bit of academic writing, I think it is just about time to move on to my analysis.  Ah!  Look here, that's what's next.

Analysis
Matt Nathanson Blog:
Okay, first of all, I don't know what it is about his writing, but I just find it so honest and humorous.  (KKL would say he is a master of the "Light Touch")  Sometimes, I  just read his blog when I am bored or need a quick pick-me-up.  Almost always, I end up laughing aloud and reading a section to whoever is nearby (Usually my sister.  She is lucky enough to hear A LOT of good writing).  Most of this comes through from his voice and his sense of audience.  Since it is a blog, it is basically a given that anyone who is reading is going to be interested in what he has to say.  Otherwise, what's the point in coming back?  Plus, blogging is a type of interactive journal.  People often write more for themselves than for anyone else.  That makes sincere and honest writing easier to come by.  Who would write crap for themselves?

Anyway, to get myself to a point... his writing would be wonderful to show high school students for two reasons: 1. The material is relevant to them.  Matt Nathanson is a modern singer and his songs are/were on the radio.  But, how many of those kids would be thinking about what it takes to write a good lyric or the personal voice and humor that the artist might have?  Making the connection would prove that good writing doesn't come only at the hand of an English major.  2. The writing is presented in a form to which many students are becoming accustomed.  Blogging is a huge hit.  Many kids have blogs and are able to keep up with friends and even just express the feelings and thoughts that they think no one (or in some cases everyone) wants to hear.  How great would it have been, growing up, to have had access to good writing from someone you admired, and the ability to create your own writing in a similar format?  Not every kid is going to have the opportunity to publish something.  But, every kid can start up a blog and get writing.

Karen's FB Response:
Alright, time to tackle Karen's piece.  I love Karen, but I can totally tell that she has slipped from the world of English.  Mechanics fly out the window when you aren't placed on some pedestal (usually not by choice) as an expert.  So, maybe she doesn't have ALL of the key elements of good writing, but let's be real--writing can be good and honest and still remain riddled with mistakes.  That's why the writing process never ends.  It is immortal.  Basically.  Anyway, this piece of writing is probably a bit biased because it was written between friends as a message on Facebook.  Definitely not the normal realm of writing.  But, since people refuse to buy back into the age of snail mail, I'm stuck communicating in the majority methods.  I am not going to go through and pull out all of the minute details and tell you why this writing is good.  Feel free to tell me it isn't.  I just figure I will save your eyes a bit and just move onto the relevance of a piece of writing like this.

Using something from Facebook is a very easy way to connect with students.  Especially if you were to pull up your account and show them something that a friend had written, or even asked them to record some of the good writing they see from friends and peers.  Most likely the mechanics are going to be a bit off, simply because of the form the writing is taking, but the content can still be there.  Showing students that writing--good writing--isn't only found between the pages of books, slapped on the shelves of the library, may just make some of them more willing to open their eyes to writing.

Jesse's Journal:
First thing that comes to mind is Inventive.  That's one of the terms that KKL use to describe good writing.  I didn't tell Jesse how to end his letter; I told him he should see himself as his audience--write something that he would want to read and would connect with.  (I was trying to get at his voice. [sidenote: did anyone else just think of Little Mermaid? ...Ursula capturing Ariel's voice.  No?  Bet you're thinking of it now!])  When  I received his response, I ended up reading this piece outloud too.  (I guess I have a tell... This is good writing if: Alysha end's up grinning uncontrollably and reading the piece aloud.  That, or I throw it up on FB).  I found his "Yourself, Jesse" so inventive.  Right, it is only a tiny piece of his writing.  But, it is so creative, and so full of his voice.  Also, from even these few simple sentences, I was able to learn something about who Jesse is and what is important to him.  He was able to inform me, his reader, in that miniscule amount of time.  Pretty stellar.  And really, anyone who is willing to refer to a future Mrs. who does not exist and the necessity of an umbrella for a rainstorm a decade in the making could be crowned a champion of the Light Touch.

I know this bit it probably pretty straight forward, but this writing would be fabulous to show high school students, because it is FROM a high school student.  How much more relevant can you get?

Finally, when I start teaching, I have seriously started to consider keeping a blog.  If I am asking my students to write on... what? A daily basis?  I should be able to prove to them that I can practice what I preach.  And, what better way to show students examples of writing both through the process and as a final product?  Done.

1 comment:

  1. Alysha, I just had to say that this blog of yours was good fun read for me! I can hear your joking tone in my head, and it brings me to a smile, which is always nice. Therefore, with your criteria applied to my critiquing, your writing counts as good...if that made any sense...:) When I heard about or read your student's writing (I can't remember which was first), my favorite part was also the "Yourself, Jesse" because it was so simple, but so different from what you would expect to see at the end of a letter. I love it!

    Your idea to show students that you practice what you preach is brilliant, I have to say. I've never thought of that, but it's a great idea! I wonder if there would be a way to make blogging in class a possibility...or to have an "assigned" time for the blog to be posted, like we have in this class. I know for me, if I don't have that deadline I tend to let things like this slip. That's why I've had such a hard time keeping a steady journal, I never had the need/desire to keep at it every day. This would be a great way to help get myself in the habit :)

    ReplyDelete