Sunday, October 4, 2009

Planning the End

The culminating text that I plan to assign my students would align best with Smagorinsky's multimedia research project. This project would pull together the different pieces of my unit, creating a final text that would be similar to the MyStory Project that many of us completed in English 210. I chose this type of research project because it would allow me to tie in different aspects of perspective, proving students with space to interact with their research. I also like bringing in the multimedia aspect to this project because I would then offer students opportunity to use technology, music clips, and other forms of expression that might fit better with unique individuals.

This text would be a compilation of poems, short stories, and journal writings done by the students in response to different materials and texts that are presented in class. Students will have to understand the different aspects of perspective to help create their personal text with flow and introspective thinking. Students will not only be required to add their own works to this project, but will also be asked to make connections between their personal thoughts and the thoughts of the authors and texts we use in class. Also, these projects will be presented to the class as another method of teaching perspective.

I feel that this type of project will be more approachable to my students; and since I plan to create some of the pieces that will tie into this project over the course of the semester, the project will be relevant and useful to students learning. I also think that providing my students with the opportunity to work with different forms of technology and materials, I would be opening up their abilities and providing opportunity that these students might not get in other situations.

Students will understand how to write from their own unique personal perspectives, using tone, mood, language, etc. to help create a text that expresses those perspectives and interacts with the perspectives of other authors and texts. Students will also know how to write poems, short descriptive stories, and other types of writing. Also, since technology will be used, students will learn how to use and present their learning through different forms of media. This means that I will have to scaffold writing, peer critique, oral presentation, discussion, technology use, and the understanding of the concepts connected to perspectives.

Upon completing this project, students will be able to understand different perspectives and be able to communicate and relate to these differences. Students will also be able to write introspectively on their own personal perspectives on texts and issues discussed in class, with the tools to do the same in future situations.

1 comment:

  1. Good -- You have made a very important commitment at this stage: getting clear about the skills and techniques you need to teach so that students can make their multi-media texts.

    Cool!

    ReplyDelete